1/2/08

New stamp... and water woes

My dear friend Cheryl sent me this beautiful stamp for the back of my cards! Isn't it wonderful - I love that font!! She has her own stamp company called OnyxXpressions and has an awesome selection of stamps, plus you can get custom name stamps made in various fonts and designs. She sent me a different one last year:Head on over there and check out her site! I'm sure you'll find something you need :-)

On another note, we finally have running water in the house again! 2 days ago my dear, sweet hubby decided that we needed a better filter on our water coming into the house. Seems easy enough, right? He's a competent and thorough person and I knew he could do it! Well, after rerouting a few pipes to get the filter closer to the hatch under the house (and therefore easier to change) and gluing them all with PVC glue he told me to turn the water back on. So I did. This was followed shortly thereafter by a "TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF!!!!!". So I did. He emerges from under the house soaking wet. Keep in mind the high here was about 40 degrees and well water is very cold anyway. So, he dried himself off, re-glued them and we repeated this scenario several more times. He is obviously a very patient man - I would have had a conniption fit if that had been me. Well, we thought perhaps it was just too cold for the glue to dry properly so we let them sit overnight and were able to hold them together long enough for me to get a shower (a badly needed one!) and wash up the dishes.

Today a plumber came and fixed the pipes under the house - took him 20 minutes. Turns out they aren't PVC at all but something else that contractors use that won't take PVC glue. Who knew??? Anyway, DH wanted the filter moved to the pump house to make it easier yet to change, so we asked the dear plumber to do that. He thought it would be a simple thing. Right. After several trips to an unknown destination to retrieve somethingorother he is almost finished when he tells me he broke a pipe under the ground and has to go get something else. Hmmmm, this can't be good.

He comes back, fixes the broken pipe and tells me to turn the water back on, which, by this time, I am more than happy to do. All is well for a brief moment and then the water stops running. So, out I trot (in freezing, windy weather mind you) to ask if he has shut the water off again - he says he hasn't. Uh oh. After much investigation it seems that some of this wonderful NC dirt (clay) must have gotten sucked up into the pipe when it broke underground and is obstructing the water flow into the bathtub and kitchen sink. I won't bore you with any more details (if you are still even with me at this point) but after another 2 hours of work it appears to be fixed. Dishes have been washed and showers taken. He was here for about 5 hours on what should have been a 2 hour job at the most. As Roseanna Roseannadanna said...."It's always something!" We are just grateful to have running water again - especially me! Let me just say that if it had been incumbent upon me to jump in a wagon and explore the wild, wild west, we'd all still be living in Pennsylvania. Roughing it is not for me! Having no running (hot or cold) water for 2 days is roughing it as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I am a wimp, I admit it. Let's just hope I don't have one of those conniption fits when I see the bill!

11 comments:

  1. LOL, thats so funny!!!!
    Sounds like my hubby...Mr fix it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool new stamp

    I had plumbing problems

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your water is back on! I love that stamp - I'll have to mosey on over there and see what i can find. I've been wanted a new name stamp too :) Thanks for the enabling Heehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it rains...it pours, huh? Glad you got it fixed! I'm with Toni...you are a total enabler:)

    I'm off to browse that new site....

    Hugs,
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. My SIL just went thru that. We replaced ALL the water lines - 400 feet of them. It's a chore, and I'm glad your done with yours. How awful!

    Hugs,
    Joani

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry bout your water, been there. VEry cute stamps though. TFS!
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad the water is all fixed....nothing worse than no water!!
    Love your cute little name stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your name stamp. what a wonderful gift to receive. I'll have to check out her company!
    Your husband sounds like mine....one day my dh decided to change the light bulbs on our sconces outside by the front door. the next day i had to call an electrician. he shorted all the wires! LOL!
    saw your post on the scs blog comment thread and thought i'd visit. i'm so glad that i did.
    http://taviascharmsfavoritethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ordered my own name stamps ... thanks for the information & the link.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are not a wimp, we are just delicate flowers and we need our comforts!! LOL How terrible! And probably expensive! Glad you got it back though. The stamps are beautiful, I'm going to check out the site, I'm looking for a stamp for the back of my cards. Thanks for sharing.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my!....this sounds WAY too familiar!...when we moved from So. FLA to Tennessee almost 14 years ago....we were introduced to "country living" and pump houses & well water....LOVE the water....didnt realize there was a "heater" in the pump house that had to be turned on to keep the thing from freezing!!....Now,we know!!...& I LOVE your new stamp...lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.