6/9/10

Embezzlements

Yes, you read that right. No, I didn’t misspell it. That’s what DH calls these. I know they are embellishments, you know they are embellishments. But he’s a man and we all know how they are.    (Hi, honey.)

I love to make paper flowers, crocheted flowers, crepe paper flowers, felt flowers, and may even give organza flowers a try if I can find some organza fabric. I have ordered some wool felt so you will be seeing more of those on the blog soon, too. The craft felt works ok sometimes but it is pretty thin and leave fuzzies on the edges most of the time. I have a couple of colors of the Papertrey felt, which is 100% wool, and love the way it looks when it is die cut. They don’t have very many colors yet, so I decided to check out some Etsy shops and found some really pretty felt. I will let you know how I like it after I have had some time to play with it.

In the meantime here are a few flowers I created the other day. The one on the left is made from card stock. I punched out eight or so scalloped circles, sponged them with some Wild Honey Distress Ink in the middle and Spun Sugar Distress Ink around the edges, spritzed them with some water and crumpled them up. I un-crumpled ( is that a word?) them, stacked them up, poked a hole in the center and put a brad through to hold them together. Then I crumpled them up a little bit more. I also sprayed a little Clearsnap Smooch Spritz on it but you can’t really see that in the photo at all. The nice thing about spritzing them with either water, Glimmer Mist, or some other spray is that when they are dry they hold their shape better.

The little yellow one on the right is made from crepe paper. It would get smooshed going through the mail, of course, but I just love the way it poofs up. I like poofy things. And shiny things.

flowers 004

Martha Stewart tags from Michael’s. I saw these on Dawn McVey’s blog and after seeing the adorable things she did with them I had to get some, of course. They only come in white but that’s a good thing. You can color them any color you want! I colored the green one with Peeled Paint Distress Ink. I just sponged it on, and Voila! – green tag. I haven’t tried airbrushing them yet but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Glimmer Mist would work well, too, I think. They come 12 to a package – 4 of each design and are about 2-1/2” in diameter.

flowers 003

Here it the green one paired with the paper flower above.

flowers 005

Here it is paired with a flower made from old book pages and a button. This flower was inspired by Dawn McVey, too. It took everything I had to tear the pages out of that book. I bought it at Goodwill for the express purpose of using the pages this way, but it was not easy. I love books and I have to just think of it as recycling.

038   

This is one of the ribbon flowers I posted a few weeks ago. It’s the perfect size for this tag!

flowers 006

Instead of coloring the tag you can punch a circle from coordinating card stock and place it behind the tag so that it shows through.

flowers 007

This almost looks like ribbon threaded through the holes but it’s just a circle of colored card stock behind it.

flowers 008

Maybe my next post will have some cards. I certainly have enough embezzlements to put on a few cards :-)

8 comments:

  1. Ooooh I like these!! You do need to make some cards with them! I haven't been to Stampers Alley in forever. Trying to not spend $$ so I just can't come in at all. lol Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I like these!! You do need to make some cards with them! I haven't been to Stampers Alley in forever. Trying to not spend $$ so I just can't come in at all. lol Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I LOVE THESE MS TAGS! STOP enabling me!

    Speaking of etsy felt, did you see the Eco felts? They are made of 100% recycled plastic bottles and come in 37 colors. I'm considering them over wool felt. If you try them, please let us know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy smokes, these are awesome. I just purchased some felt from Etsy too and can't wait to start making flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! No really WOW! Those tags are gorgeous and paired with your flowers - stunning!

    I also wanted to thank you for stopping by the DRS Designs blog and wish you luck on the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...thanks for inspiration! I need to play some more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooo, I'm getting such good ideas from your blog. I'm so happy I found this! The flowers are wonderful. And thanks for the link to the Etsy site for the felt. I MUST get some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I love, love, love the pale pink flower! Thanks so much for sharing how you made it! I agree with earlier posters who said that they are getting inspiration from your blog. I am so glad I stumbled on it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.