12/30/10

Cake Pops…..or not

My dear hubby gave me Bakerella’s Cake Pops book for Christmas, so today my daughter and I set out to make some cupcake pops. The cake had already been baked, combined with some frosting, rolled into balls and chilled in the fridge overnight.

This is what we were shooting for:

BakerellaCupcakePops

Adorable, yes?

Well, this is what we ended up with:

IMG_0003

Hmmmm. Similar? Barely.

Maybe we had the wrong size cookie cutter for the bottom or perhaps the candy melts were not the right consistency. So, we melted some green candy melts and tried to do one of these:

BakerellaCupcakePops2

Looks simple enough. Make a cone shape, dip it into the green melted candy, give it a little texture with a toothpick and add a star and some sprinkley things for ornaments (they look like teeny tiny Hershey’s Kisses). We thinned the candy down a little more this time, too.

Well, this is what happened:

IMG_0002

I think we are going to need a lot more practice. I also think that the cake mix was too moist, but all of them except the store brands say “Moist”or “Super Moist” on the package. I will try a store brand mix and see what happens. The cake mix I used was a Super Moist Milk Chocolate and we didn’t really care for the taste of it anyway.

This was a fun first experiment and we, as usual, dissolved into a couple of hysterical laughing fits. But that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? Having fun! We are very good at that!

After the first two semi-failures, we just dipped the rest of the cake balls like they were – round-ish. Here is the whole gang, in all it’s glory:

IMG_0001

It was fun, and we won’t give up. Never give up, never surrender! We will not be outdone by cake mix and candy melts. We’re stronger than that!

8 comments:

  1. I think these look great! And I bet they'll be fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a riot! At least you tried them....don't think I would have taken the time! I do like the idea of cake on a stick though! No dishes to wash! Your old friend Marsha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had lots of fun! Hope that is what you find in the New Year...good health and Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These came out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the original pictures were altered!! Did they taste good? THAT'S what counts. I think you're first effort was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. . .laughing my ass off. Not really at your pops, but at your writing about them. I actually thought they looked really cute. Then when I got to the part where you said that you had a couple of hysterical laughing fits, I lost it then. I could just picture it and I actually laughed right along with you. Can't wait to see future tries! Happy New Year! Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to try these too.....good post! Where you at in NC? I am near Chapel Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMM I think they look YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.