2/23/11

Spring is almost here!

At least I hope so! The past few days we have had lovely warm weather, which has put me in the mood to make some bright and cheerful cards.

048

Instead of using patterned paper I made my own background paper, using Impression Obsession Cover-a-Card stamps. These were done with the paisley stamp. The flowers are cut from Papertrey felt using a set of their dies. I wish I had thought to take photos before I assembled the cards because I sewed the flowers together with the baker’s twine and tied the button on top to hold it all together. I didn’t have a needle that the twine would fit through, so I used my Crop-a-Dile and punched two holes through all of the flowers at once. I threaded the twine through the holes and up through the button, tied a knot and Voila! On the second one, I added a circle of cardstock on the bottom of the flower to make it easier to adhere to the card. I used Glue Dots to attach the flowers to the cards.

Now, check out these fabulous flowers!

047

046

I bet you can’t guess what I used to make these flowers. No peeking.

Give up?

Mini cupcake liners! Yes, really! I KNOW! How cool is that??

They started out as ordinary, everyday mini cupcake liners….

050

and ended up like this…

049

Here’s how I did it. First, a disclaimer…I did not come up with this wonderful idea on my own. Surprised? No, I didn’t think so. Anyway, I saw one on a card somewhere online and had to try it. The cupcake liners are so inexpensive - $1.99 for 100 and you can find them at a party supply store, craft store, or even the grocery store. I only use 3 or 4 liners for each flower, so that’s a lot of flowers for 2 bucks!

Here’s how I make them (click on any of the photos to see them larger):

Separate the liners first or you will have a hard time getting them apart once they are cut. Stack them loosely and cut just up to the bottom, through all of the layers at once. 10 or 12 snips should be enough, depending on how wide you want the petals to be. Don’t worry about getting the cuts evenly spaced, it really doesn’t matter.

051

Separate them and flatten them just a little bit.

053

Apply some glue to the middle of one of your layers. I use Tombow Mono Multi glue and it works well for me…use whatever you have.

054   

Attach one of the liners, being sure to offset the petals just a bit. Apply glue to the middle of that one and attach another liner, offsetting the petals again. Repeat as needed. I find that 4 is usually sufficient, all of these only have 3 layers.

I punched out a scalloped circle from some Bazzill embossed card stock for the center of the flowers. You could also just use plain card stock, or run some through the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder.

055

A white card stock circle to go in the center of the pink one.

057

Thread a button with some pretty baker’s twine, ribbon, or embroidery thread and attach to the center using a Glue Dot. I used baker’s twine.

058

There you go – one gorgeous flower! I used the Mono Multi glue to attach the centers and attached a circle of card stock to the back of the flower to stabilize it a little, too.

059 

A couple of variations:

Purple, of course!

060

A sunflower. The center was cut with the smallest scalloped circle Nestability and run through the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots folder.

062

Here’s my little stash of baker’s twine. I don’t remember where I got it, but you can get some online at The Twinery. It is wonderful stuff. The have full rolls or you can get a sampler package, which is what I have. I love this stuff!

061  

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a wonderful week!

15 comments:

  1. Oh MY! Cannot wait to get to the store and get some cupcake liners!!!! Those flowers are FABULOUS. Love the bold colors you used on your cards too and those backgrounds look great. thanks so much for sharing the flower idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is a good idea, Jackie! Can't wait to go looking for these - the ones you showed are really pretty! And they add such a nice touch to a simple card - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun idea! Love all the bright colors, come on spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these! And don't you love those Impression Obsession background stamps? I have 3 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow...so wanna CASE this idea! Love your fun color combos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty flowers! love the gorgeous colors! Found your card on sharethemojo and had to come and check it out! Glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute are these! What a fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard about these, but had not seen them yet. Very pretty and thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh! So clever and cute! Thanks for sharing a great idea! (Sweet cards, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely floored by these! Your first cards are so sweet! Then when I saw the bright, cheery flowers made of cupcake liners I was blown away. These are just awesome! Wonderful work! Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so adorable.....thanks for the fun tutorial and I hope to make some soon....

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How bright and beautiful! Of course I gotta get some! LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.