4/13/11

Got Flock?

If you do you can make some pretty cool things with it. If you don’t have any, you’re going to want some :-) I’ve been doing a lot of flocking lately - here are a few examples. I hope you are able to see the texture in these photos.

Spellbinders Butterfly die cuts

112 113 132

Papertrey Blooms die cut

115

Papertrey leaf die cut (from the Dahlia set, I believe)

116

It’s simple to do and ads just a little something to the die cut, especially the Spellbinders dies, since they emboss as well as cut. Those were only run through the Big Shot once and they came out very embossed.

I used Scor Tape sheets, cut them just a little larger than the shape I was die cutting, removed one side of the protective paper and applied flock all over it. It does need to be well covered so that it doesn’t stick to your clear plates when you run it through your machine.

Rub the flock onto the adhesive really well and shake off the excess. Since flock doesn’t always cover completely, I adhered the flocked piece to a similar color of card stock before cutting so that if there were any tiny gaps in coverage they wouldn’t be noticeable. It also makes the piece a little sturdier. The butterfly above was easier to get out of the die and didn’t lose his antennae in the process like he has in the past when I was using just card stock. Once you have this done, just die cut as usual, using whatever machine you have.

As you can see with the butterflies, the Spellbinders dies come out with a really pretty embossing. The Papertrey – and other similar dies as well, I’m sure – come out with a clean, rounded edge. The flock gives a subtle, soft, almost suede-like finish to the shape. You can click on the photos to see them larger, if you like.

I did do a comparison between flocking before die cutting and after die cutting and this is the result. I used a Papertrey die for these.

Flocking before die cutting – clean, rounded edges:

119

Flocking after die cutting – a little fuzzy around the edges:

123

I’m sure you could go around the edges with your fingernail and get the fuzz off, but I am lazy that way – I want it to come out of the machine ready to go. The flocking after cutting does leave it fluffier all over, naturally, and if that’s the look you want then you can certainly die cut first, flock later.

I also tried running card stock through the Xyron and that worked really well, too. I don’t think liquid glue would work, for obvious reasons, unless you let it dry completely after applying the flock. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

You can also punch shapes after applying the flock, at least it worked for me using the Scor Tape sheets, so there are lots of possibilities. I like the look of it, it adds a little texture to a project without adding a lot of bulk, and the flock is available is lots of pretty colors. I got mine at Stamper’s Alley and I’m sure it is available at your LSS, or online.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I have some flocking that has been aging quite nicely, Think I will get it out and give this a try. The embossing really turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun! Love how that butterfly turned out! I don't have any of this but that's okay since I need to stay away from the LSS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an enabler!! I haven't tried flocking yet. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the flocking tips! I've never had luck with flock or with Flower Soft. Your tips are great ideas and obviously work well. I thought about you looking at all the news regarding the tornadoes in your state. I hope you have not been affected by this horrible weather. My heart goes out to those poor people who had their homes totally destroyed. Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.