5/9/11

They say it’s your birthday…

Ok, maybe not your birthday, but it was Emogene’s birthday recently. I wanted to make something cool, something unusual, something that would make her smile.

I know - a tri-shutter card covered with glittery dots, owls with party hats, and a great big birthday cake! That’s just the ticket!

I saw the idea on DarleneDesigns.com blog and changed it up a bit.

I dusted off my Silhouette to cut out the birthday cake. I cut 4 cakes – brown, pink, blue, and yellow – and used the pieces that were cut out of the blue, pink and yellow to put in the cut out parts of the cake. The white dots are made with a white gel pen. I almost got too carried away with that, but I think I stopped just in time. Did I go one (or ten) dot(s) too far?

024 

Here it is partially open. I used yellow Stickles for the candle flame and put a little green pom pom on one owl’s party hat.

021

Open all the way. Baker’s twine for the balloon strings and googlie (sp?) eyes for the owl’s eyes. All of those tiny pieces that get punched with the owl punch are too much trouble to use for the eyes, and i like the googlie eyes better anyway. The hats were cut out of some patterned paper that had a banner design on it. I just used the banner pieces for hats. The owl bellies and balloons are patterned paper, too. The sentiment is stamped inside a Gina K Designs stamp that coordinates with the Nestabilities. Love her stamps! The little cupcake circles are made with a Tonic punch, then punched out with a circle punch, and popped up on some foam adhesive.

023  027

Here’s a close up of the cake. Chocolate, of course.

028-1

I had a lot of fun making this card and Emogene said she really enjoyed getting it – mission accomplished. It even arrived intact – no eyes crushed or missing. Good job, PO.

I really do need to use my Silhouette more often. There are so many pretty designs and it’s easy to use, I don’t know why I don’t use it more. I tried to cut this cake design by hand and wasted several pieces of paper before I decided to look in my Silhouette library to see if I had something that would work. Bingo - this is exactly what I had in mind. I should poke around in there some more, there’s no telling what I might find.

15 comments:

  1. That card is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love the card design, with the cake and all those owls! I need to get use my machine, I just keep collecting designs, but have hardly cut out any, I am inspired now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, you MADE one of these! I am so impressed. I totally do NOT have the patience to spend that much time on one card. (Love the owl peeking out, by the way.)

    I don't need a silhouette. I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, this has to be one of my most favorite cards of yours! This turned out beautifully! I have always found this card design very difficult for me to decorate, but you make it look so simple and perfect! Love this. . .Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a super awesome creation...what a treat to open! Going to the Share the MOJO site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!! I adore your tri-shutter here and your fun and cheery images and colors are brilliant!! :) Really gorgeous creation! Thanks for sharing! Smiles, *Vicki*

    ReplyDelete
  7. double wow!! gorgeous and oh so fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGOODNESS!!! I can't believe how much work you have put into this AMAZING card Jackie!! It is TOTALLY adorable to the MAX!!! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping by to say hello and to thank you for your support over the last couple of weeks. Just making sure you are doing OK. Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so Fun! The dots are great, not a single dot too many

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm known for loving tri- shutter cards and yours is high on the list...adorable! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Wow!! This is a super card. I love those owls and the fold is terrific!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of the cutest cards I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So stinking cute. I have to case this!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cutest card i have seen in a long time. Been trying to think of a card to make for my mom,s birthday next month that would make her smile. Mine won'be as cute as yours but i'll most likely still get the smile. I do so love googly eyes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.