8/18/11

Card Box Instructions

Remember these boxes?

113 (2)

Here is how I made them. I don’t claim to be the original author of these instructions and there probably are instructions in the Resources section of SplitCoastStampers.com, but this is how I made my boxes.

You will need 12 x 12 card stock. You can use 8-1/2 x 11 if you cut the sides smaller (you will see what I mean later in the post) but I like the boxes to be sturdier so I double the sides.

The top measures 12” x 10-5/8”. The bottom measures 11-7/8” x 10-1/2”. 
Score both pieces at 1-1/2” and 3” on all four sides.
This will make a box that ends up being 1-1/2” tall and large enough for A2 cards and envelopes.

I put 12 cards and envelopes in mine and they fir perfectly. All of the cards weren’t flat, either. Some of them had flowers, gems, ribbons, or other embellishments on them.

** You can click on any of the photos for a closer look. **

This is actually the bottom of the box, so it should read “Do the same for the top of the box”. I didn’t realize that until I was editing the photo, and the box was already assembled.

IMG_0001

Fold and crease all of the score lines, then cut away the corner squares on the long sides.

It should look like this when you are finished. I trim them at a slight angle to make it easier to assemble.

IMG_0003-1

Apply Scor-Tape or Red Line tape to the flaps as shown. I use Scor-Tape and it works really well for me. I tried using the ATG tape once and the box didn’t hold together well at all. Don’t skimp on tape.

IMG_0004

Remove the protective paper from one of the small flaps and fold it in on the long side. I find it easiest to hold the box in my hand and line up the corners.

IMG_0005

IMG_0006

Repeat for all four flaps and your box should look like this:

IMG_0008

Remove the paper from the tape on one of the long sides and fold in; repeat for the other side. I don’t know why I do the long sides first, I don’t know what difference it makes.

IMG_0009

Voila! You have a box top (or bottom). Repeat the process for the other half of the box..

IMG_0010

See how nicely they fit together? And the envelopes fit in there perfectly, too.

IMG_0011

Since they do fit together snugly, it cam be a little difficult to get them apart.

Use a 1” circle punch (or close to 1” - smaller would be better than larger) and punch half circles on both long sides of the top, like so:

IMG_0013IMG_0014

There you go! Embellish to your heart’s content, fill with cards and envelopes and it makes quite a lovely gift. You could make a deeper box but you wouldn’t be able to double the sides unless you had larger card stock, or made the top shorter (which just now occurred to me).

Also, one strip of 12” paper isn’t long enough, of course, for a belly band, so I used a strip of each of the colors for the one on the right. I just tied a ribbon around the other one to keep it closed.

I hope this all makes sense, and if it doesn’t please feel free to ask questions. Boxes are actually quite easy to make in any size. It just involves a little simple math and some experimentation with copy paper to avoid wasting card stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.