8/21/11

Look what I found!

I was in Hobby Lobby the other day with my daughter and naturally I had to go down the paper crafting aisles. I am glad I did because they have new stuff and I found this little gem:

2012

A wood grain embossing folder! I know! Not quite as wood-grainy as I had hoped but I liked it well enough to bring it home with me. It was only $4.99, too. Such a deal! I broke it out this morning and gave it a test run with some Core’dinations paper, thinking I would run it through the Big Shot and then sand it to bring out the texture. Eh. It didn’t turn out as well as I had hoped. This is it, straight out of the folder:

20132014

It looks ok, right? I tried sanding it and it didn’t help much. If it was a darker brown paper sanding might have been more successful. (I didn’t take a photo of that stage of the process) Then I had a brilliant idea! Get some Distress Ink and run it over the top to add some contrast. What’s the worst that could happen? It’s just a piece of paper, after all. So I did exactly that. I used Vintage Photo, and here is the result:

20152016

I like it. I like it a lot. I do wish the folder had more of a knotty pine look, but for $5 I thought it was a pretty good deal. I know Papertrey has an impression plate that is wood grain, but I just can’t bring myself to pay $6.95 to ship one thin metal plate (which is $16, btw). This will work for me for the time being. I see more owl cards in my future. Stay tuned…

3 comments:

  1. I think it looks great, and thanks for the tip, Jackie; I'll be sure to see if our HL has this next time I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to run over to HL!!! I really like this folder a lot! It was funny, as I was reading and looking, I thought "well maybe if she used ink to highlight it." and sure enough I scrolled down and you did. I think it looks great! Hope my HL has one. I was there last week and they didn't. Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.