10/6/11

A card and a trip

My sister was kind enough to take me on a belated birthday trip to my hometown of St. Augustine last week and I have a few photos to share. I was born and raised there, my family has been there for hundreds of years (see the Minorcan sign photo - and yes, I am a Minorcan) and it will always be home to me. But first, a card.

002

Yes, I have gotten a little obsessed with using the negative part of the dies, but it’s just so easy and makes such a pretty card. The butterfly is from Amuse and the tags are by Spellbinders (the small one, Grommet Tags) and My Favorite Things (it came in a set with some stamps). The verse is by Papertrey - I have almost worn that stamp out and used very few of the other ones in the set.

Here are a few photos from my trip and if you are interested, you can see more here.

045

054

St. Augustine Beach. My toes were so happy to get in the sand and salt water. It was a beautiful evening, just a light breeze and very few people on the beach.

034

The cross and statue at the Mission. I grew up 2 blocks from here and remember watching them assemble this huge monument! The Mission of Nombre de Dios traces its origins to the founding of the City of St. Augustine, America’s oldest city, in 1565. On September 8, 1565, Pedro Menendez de Aviles landed and proclaimed this site for Spain and the Church. It was here that Menendez knelt to kiss a wooden cross presented to him by Father Francisco Lopez de Mendoza Grajales, chaplain of his expedition. It was on these grounds that Fr. Lopez would celebrate the first parish Mass and begin the work at America’s first Mission. It was at this sacred spot that the Spanish settlers would begin the devotion to Our Lady of La Leche that continues into the present.

037

Boats in the harbor at the Mission. I swear these are the same boats that have been anchored here for years. We took some peanuts in the shell and fed the squirrels. Oh look! A squirrel! They come right up and take the peanuts out of your hand - it’s wonderful!

028

Claire’s stamp store - I miss it so much! It was good to see Claire again and I hope it won’t be another 6 years before I get to go back.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a wonderful week.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely trip! What a pretty place to grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card and pictures! Thanks for the history lesson too. Loved that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. Augustine is one of my Mom's favorite places. She loves it there. The pictures are wonderful. I actually read the plaque that you have pictured. Very interesting stuff. I can't imagine what people went through back in that time period. Hope you are well! Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks heavenly!!! I bet you get homesick! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.