6/24/11

It’s about time, right?

I was recently reminded that I haven’t posted anything since June 2. The reason for that is I hadn’t made anything to post. I just haven’t been feelin’ the mojo lately. But, when I saw this card by Paperlicious I became inspired and just had to CASE it. I also did a couple of variations on that theme.

This is what I have to show for it:

073

This is the original CASE of Joan’s card. I used a different sentiment and left off the ribbon on the side, but other than that it’s almost identical.

077

Then I discovered something about that PTI set (Butterfly Dreams). The outline of the butterfly also fits perfectly (when stamped precisely) over the solid butterfly images. Imagine that.

I used Memento ink and a couple of custom ink pads made with Tsukineko reinkers for these images. I don’t know if Tsukineko makes single color ink pads other than the Memento inks, but I wish they would. I have some Kaleidacolor pads and liked several of the colors in them, so I just got some uninked pads and the reinkers and made my own. They are by far the best inks for clear stamps, in my opinion. I found it easier to stamp the solid (patterned) image first and then stamp the outline over it. Most of them lined up quite well. The butterflies above the sentiment were done with a Martha Stewart punch.

087084082

I custom colored some pearls and gemstones with Copic markers to match the butterflies.

088          089

The idea of stacking things along the left side of the card led me to this:

090

These images are from an older Hero Arts Sparkle Clear Set. They are colored with Copic markers and I used 3 different sets of googlie eyes on the owls. The sentiment is, of course, Papertrey Ink. These owl cards make ME smile! I made several of them, smiling the whole time.

My mojo has once again gone missing, but at least I have some all occasion cards on hand. If anyone happens to find my mojo anywhere, please send it along. I will be forever grateful. It is a slippery little devil and sneaks away whenever it gets the chance. I really do need to keep a closer eye on it.

6/2/11

A Little Fun with Stampendous stamps

I have had these stamps for months and not inked them up, so I thought it was time. I liked the images but couldn’t figure out what to do with them until I saw this card on Kimberly’s blog.

Here is my version. I colored the image with Copic markers, sponged the edges of the patterned paper (Memory Box paper, I think) with some Distress Ink, cut out the image and popped it up on some foam tape. The pattern on the Kraft card stock is from the screen in the window where I was taking the photo, it’s not stamped. Which is a good thing because it is really crooked.

029

I made another card using a different Stampendous stamp – I just love these images. They remind me of Italy. I’ve never been there, but I have seen lots of photos and it is high on my list of places to go someday.

Same process as the one above but different patterned paper. I stamped the center piece with an Impression Obsession Cover-a-Card stamp, trimmed it with some deckle edge scissors and sponged the edges with some Wild Honey Distress ink. Instead of sponging the edges of the patterned paper I just layered it on to some black card stock.

It was difficult to keep from adding ribbon, bling, or something else fussy, but in the end I think they look best with the focus on the main image.

031

I will be using these stamps a little more often. The coloring was pretty easy to do and since they have irregular edges I don’t have to stress over cutting the edges straight. I am no good with scissors but I keep trying.

On another note, I saw this cool Copic marker storage idea on Pinterest. I had mine stored in Eldon X-Cubes and it was getting a little tight so I got some Foam Board, grabbed my X-acto knife and rulers, and gave it a try. I won’t be posting photos of mine. They are functional but not as pretty as hers, I’m afraid. The hardest part was getting the grooves for the shelves to line up. I made 3 of them and the last one was the best, of course, but there was no way I was going to make two more. They work for me and it’s not like my craft room is going to be in House Beautiful any time soon, so I am content with them as they are. I used 3 sheets of 20” x 30” Foam Board for all of them and 2 of them hold all of my Copic and Prismacolor markers, with room for more, so I’m happy. I put my Sharpies, Bic and other markers in the other one. The final cost was around $10, not including the glue – I have lots of that. She used hot glue on hers, and I tried one with that but I didn’t like it. The glue dries too quickly, so I ended up using Aleene’s Quick Dry tacky glue (and maybe just a little clear packing tape), which I found to be easier to work with.

BTW, if you haven’t tried Pinterest yet, I suggest you give it a try. You can find some really cool stuff on there and pin it to your own board for future reference. There is a link to my boards on the right sidebar. Check it out and let me know what you think.