1/26/12

Another CASE

By now I think we are all painfully aware that I don’t have any original ideas of my own anymore, and when I saw this card on the I’m in Haven blog I just had to give it a try. There are more of her wonderful creations I will be CASEing using for inspiration in the future, I love her stuff! Have a look around and I bet you will be inspired, too.

My first try failed miserably and it is now in the round file. I thought (hahaha) that I could draw straight lines without the aid of a straightedge. Um, no. So I got out my ruler and the second one turned out pretty fair, even if the lines are still a little crooked -or maybe it’s the angle of the photograph - yeah, that’s it, bad angle. Seriously.

033

Fewer lines, different size flowers, and less bling, but I liked it alright.  Last night while I was trying to get to sleep…ok, tossing and turning…I had a brilliant idea. I have a Penny Black background stamp that I haven’t used yet and it has lots of lines and dots. No more ruler! That’s right up my alley - easy. I happened to remember this brilliant thought this afternoon so I got busy. I like this one very much better. For once, I was able to successfully bring to life the concept in my head, rather than beating my head against the proverbial wall for hours on end.

043

I stamped it on textured card stock so I had to fill in most of the dots with a black marker but all in all it was much easier. More lines, more bling, and different placement of the flowers. The black dots in the center of the flowers are from a sheet of Halloween rain dot-type stickers from the big M that I’ve had for quite some time. I ran the colored pieces through the Swiss Dot Cuttlebug folder for a little texture, added some gems… done! The front is popped up on some foam tape for a little dimension. No sentiment, which means I can use it for almost any occasion.

I was also inspired by this post on Leslie’s blog a few days ago but I am sad to say that the results were not as good. I tried several times, swore at all of my corner rounders - why can’t they REALLY round the corner instead of leaving little sharp bits on the edges??? - cut up more than a couple of pieces of paper, tossed one version and finally decided to keep this one:

034

I gotta tell you, I am not crazy about it. See those corners? Click on the image to see it larger, if you dare. Ugh! I even trimmed and sanded them, which should not be necessary. It didn’t help much. At least the papers go together well enough. But I still don’t like it. I was hoping for a relatively quick and easy card. Ha! This one took longer than the other two put together.

If anyone has a suggestion for getting rounder (more round?) corners, I’m all ears. I tried the Zutter, EK Success (both sizes) and Fiskars corner punches, and they all did the same thing. Now, I could understand if my paper was not perfectly square but I punched the squares with a square punch. No, I did not check for square but I hope the punch would be more accurate than cutting them on a paper trimmer (which I also tried). Manufacturers….are you listening? Please, please, please….make a good corner rounding punch. You will sell a million of them if they work better than these do. Is that too much to ask? I think not.

10 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts - you make me giggle! Your first line is what I've said about myself many times - (. . .don't have an original idea of my own anymore.)Thank goodness there are cardmakers out there who can come up with ideas for me!

    I love all three cards, Jackie! The first two with the lines, bling and flowers are so pretty! What a fun idea! And I DID click on the third one, saw absolutely nothing wrong with any of the corners - is it my eyes? I think it's a wonderful card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are tooooo funny! I wonder if anyone has a truly original thought....don't you think all the original ones must be gone by now? Adore that middle card, it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all of them, but the middle one is my fave and it went straight into the "to be CASEd" folder on my computer. Great card! I totally love my Crop-A-Dile Corner Chomper. Nice clean corners every time and like with most CAD products, it cuts just about everything. No problem with chipboard, but I haven't tried it on metal ... yet. It sits on my desk in easy reach while the others sit on the shelf gathering dust (lots of that mixed with cat hair in my house). ~chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards, but my favorite is the second one. That PB stamp is perfect for that design. I use the We-R corner chomper. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've found so far. I'm with you on the "borrowing" ideas! I may borrow this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHA! Man, I could have written this whole post! And yeah, I have the Corner Chompers on my wish list. Your corners are fine - only YOU see the supposed imperfections. If you look at mine, I bet you'll see the same thing. The one *I* CASEd it from isn't perfect, either, so there. :P

    I love the 2nd card, too. I think more lines is better. I applaud that you got the bg stamp straight on the card stock. Mine would have been wonky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep seeing the letters CAS. What do they stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! Makes me feel better about always using others for inspiration and making less-than-perfect cards! I love "I'm in Haven" too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your first card. It turned out just beautiful from your idea! I got so inpired, I tried to find the Penny Black stamp, but failed to do so. Do you remember the name of the stamp?

    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name of the stamp is Circles & Lines (product #40-084) http://www.pennyblackinc.com/display_item.php?PID=6767&CAT=RSslapstickcling

      Delete
  9. I really like your cards! Especially the multi-line with dots & flowers! Well done! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.