2/1/12

Sending Smiles

I love the new die from Memory Box, Modern Landscape Border. It is similar to the Country Landscape that I used on some Christmas cards but it isn’t as seasonal. The trees on this one could be colored for Spring, Fall, or Summer…..or Winter, too, I guess.

Anyway, after another rousing round of tossing and turning the other night, I came up with this idea. Yes, you read that right, *I* came up with an idea. I know!! It is not-so-loosely based on my Christmas card design, but still.

076

The trees and house are colored with Copics - YG23 and YG25 for the trees, E25 for the tree trunks, and E33 for the house. The clouds are die cut from suede paper adhered to card stock using Memory Box and PTI dies (I think - one may be done with the Silhouette). I also have some clouds that I made using Scor Tape and white flock, then die cut - those are pretty cool too. The trick, I found, is to adhere to the Scor Tape to a piece of white card stock first, peel off the protective backing (or fronting?), apply the flocking, then die cut. Same goes for the suede paper. You can apply the flock directly to the Scor Tape and die cut, but it was a little too transparent for me and when I added the foam tape on the back I could see it pretty well. No bueno.

The sentiment is Hero Arts and I added a green gem to the left of the words after I took the photo, but was too lazy to drag out the camera again. I cut the arrow-like end of the sentiment piece using the corner of a square punch. The sun is punched using a Punch Bunch die. I glittered some yellow card stock with the Glitter Ritz Cool Highlight glitter but it wasn’t yellow enough, so I colored over the glitter with a Y38 Copic marker. Popped everything up on foam tape, and made 2 more of them because I loved it so much. The other 2 are almost identical so there was no need to post them, too. You know me….if it works, make lots of them.

I experimented with cutting some green card stock to use for grass, adding Stickles for grass, coloring grass in with a Copic marker, etc., but none of it made me go “Woohoo!”, so I quit while I was ahead. I like the contrast of the white and colors on the trees and house. I am not necessarily through experimenting, though, so you may see this die several more times. If you have any suggestions for variations of new versions or cool things to try, I’m listening. Oh wait, I just thought of using white felt for the clouds! Brilliant!    I have to go now….thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. What a happy, little scene, Jackie! Makes me really long for a warm, summer day! So cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've almost bought that die several time...love how it looks..and coloring it separately looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, white felt for clouds! And now I NEED this die. *shakes fist* I plan to cut the whole thing out of green, then go over the trees to darken them for contrast. Feel free to steal that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.