4/1/12

Cuttlebug Border Embossing Folders and Plumber’s Gasket

I posted some cards last week on which I used the Cuttlebug border embossing folders and some plumber’s gasket. A couple of people asked for a more detailed explanation of just how the technique is done, so I got out the folders and the camera and here’s how I do it.

This is the plumber’s gasket. It looks a lot like the red rubber from which stamps are made and it comes in 6” x 6” pieces. I use the 1/8” thickness. I do have some that is 1/16” thick, but I really can’t remember why I bought it. I suppose it would work as well, but the sandwich would need to be different.

DSCN3398DSCN3400

Trim it (I use the Tim Holtz scissors) so that it is slightly narrower than the embossing folder but make sure it covers all of the design.

DSCN3401                  DSCN3402

This is one of the really skinny folders.

DSCN3403 

It is a little hard to see in this photo but it is just a smidge narrower.

DSCN3404        DSCN3405

Next, place your cardstock in the folder and place it on the Big Shot platform, with just Tab 1 open. I know, I see the warning - “This is not a cutting surface!” but we aren’t cutting anything so just ignore that. Place the plumber’s gasket on top of the folder.

DSCN3411

Put a clear plate on top and run it through the machine. My clear plate is well loved, as you can see.

DSCN3412

There you go – a nice impression without the lines of the folder.

DSCN3414DSCN3415

I do apologize to those of you with a Cuttlebug, I don’t have one so I have no idea what sandwich to use. I suggest trying just the A plate and the C plate with the plumber’s gasket, if it isn’t too thick to roll through. Do not ever force it through, it could damage the machine! If it is too thick, try shimming with layers of cardstock or chipboard with the A plate and B plate.

I bought the plumber’s gasket – actually DH bought it for me – at either Lowe’s or Home Depot in, of course, the plumbing section. It’s not expensive at all, I think it was less than $5. If you can’t find it you can always cut strips of chipboard and glue them together to make the same thickness and that should work just fine.

This method will work on the smaller square or rectangle folders, too, just cut the gasket the same way – a little smaller than the folder. It just occurred to me that it might even work for partial embossing, if you just wanted to use a portion of the regular size folder. I can’t imagine cutting a piece out of the center of the gasket, but if you only wanted to emboss half of a piece of cardstock, this just might work. I have to go give it a try now!

I hope this helps. Not go find those neglected folders and emboss something!

33 comments:

  1. Great tip. I was online looking at some of the border embossing folders so this was great timing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, thisis brilliant! I've always hated those lines and now I know how to avoid them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for explaining it!
    Going to get some plumber gasket on my lunch break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the plumbers gaskets I got back when I had my Cuttlebug came with two sheets, one in each thickness. I'm going to have to play with this! Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER idea!! Thanks..now if only the folders were larger..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TFS! I'm SO headed to the store today to find this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a Cuttlebug and this technique worked great. I used the A Plate, then the Embossing Folder with the 1/8" thick plumbers gasket (which Lowes called Rubber Packing Sheet) on top of that and then the B Plate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you cut out 3 images from cardstock and then put the red rubber on it (same as you did only used the whole square) then you get ANY image you want! I've even put my dry emboss stencils in with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for your tip
    beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this. I came across it via Pinterest, tried it today with thick card board, like the kind at the back of a note pad and it worked great...no lines! Yay! now I will be able to make more use of those edge folders. I have a cuddlebug and and sandwiched everyhign with the A plate at the botom and the C plate on top. Thanks again. I will share soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tip.. thanks. I found this on pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG!! this is brilliant!!! I have several of this EF but I always got so frustrated when I used them because of the edge line on my paper. This is the absolute best solution to this pesky problem. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this info. I just bought my cuttlebug and can't wait to give it a tryout. Ummm let's see, where are those little folders? Ohh, what paper do I use? fun, fun - coming soon to a scrap room near you. soon as I get back from Lowe's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jackie, Thanks for this great tutorial. I've often wanted to try this technique, but didn't know exactly how to do so. You've made it very simple. I see you are an NC blogger. I'm in Upstate SC, but born a NC kid, transplanted to Fla for 42 yrs. Retired to SC & visit NC as often as I can. Love my bbq! Thanks again for the great technique pictures. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look a lot like the rubber embossing pads from Spellbinders. I suspect they'd work just fine for this purposes as well.

    ReplyDelete

  17. Just found your tip on Pinterest and am so glad to find it! I hate the folder lines but love the look of the embossing. I have a Cuttlebug but I am sure this technique will work just as well with it.
    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here it is 2 years later and your tip is still being seen and appreciated. I wonder how much plumbers gasket sales have increased in the past 24 months. There are astonished plumbing-aisle salesmen across the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you kindly for this fantastic idea !. I so hated these lines on everything,therefore, I cut them off whatever I was using whether it was a border on a card or the front of a card. This is a bit of good news. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tip, thanks. I live about an hour from a city, so used the Spellbinders embossing pad & it worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow this is good news , i have a cuttlebug and grand calbur and i use the cuttle bug to emboss , ill have to remember this. have a sunshine weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh! Wow thank you very much Jackie for posting this great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Will certainly try this, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I used the cuttlebug and the A plate and C plate and the tan embossing mat
    from Spellbinders - works beautiful and no lines. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another wonderful idea! With over 200 embossing folders, now I can emboss w/o those unsightly lines! I can't wait to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a cuttlebug and I am new to this all. I use a simple piece of card stock on my borders. I use double sided tape and leave on for the next time. It is working well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! That way you don't ever have to do it again! Thanks for sharing

      Delete
  27. Thank you so much for the tip.....awesome idea!!! Cindy in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much for this tip, seeing an edge mark left after using an embossing folder can ruin a card, thanks for sharing. Roseanne from the UK

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well explained! Appreciate the pics, as well. Going to try with cardboard first bc I need to do it today. If I don't like the results, I'm off to Lowe's! Again, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks like I need to drag out all of my old Cuttle Bug edges and designs again! thanks for sharing your tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.