10/1/12

What’s black and white and sparkly?

Cards, of course. A friend is getting married this month and I made some Thank You cards for her as a wedding gift. She couldn’t decide on a color theme, she likes them all, so she decided to go with white and sparkly. I’m all about the sparkly!

ThankYou

The photo doesn’t show it very well but the ribbon is shimmery white and I added dots of Stardust Stickles to the centers of the embossed design. Glittery-ness is so hard to photograph! I only made 24 – that should get her started. My Silhouette was called into service to cut the fancy Spellbinder knock off labels and the center was punched with a Fiskars oval punch. One thing I love about the Silhouette is that I can resize a design to fit my project. I just need to remember to take advantage of that more often and not let it gather dust.

Anyway, then I had to make a box for these cards, which quickly turned into 2 boxes because I needed 5” sides to accommodate all of the cards and envelopes, and I can’t get that out of a 12 x 12 piece of patterned paper.

ThankYouBox2

I made the top from a very glittery piece of 12 x 12 paper and the bottom is plain black Bazzill paper. Boxes are so easy to make once you figure out the system. Figure out what size you need the bottom to be to accommodate the cards and envelopes and how deep it needs to be, add the depth x2 (for each side) to the bottom measurement and there you go.

For instance, say your envelopes (which are larger than your cards, right?) are 4-1/2 x 5-3/4, so you need the bottom of the box to be 4-5/8 x 5-7/8 and the box needs to be 2” deep. 4-5/8 + 4 (2” for each side) = 8-5/8, and 5-7/8 + 4 = 9-7/8, right? Cut the paper to that size and score at 2” on each side. Make your cuts at the ends and assemble. I always cut one out of scrap paper to be sure before I cut into the “good” paper, especially if I have just enough of it to make the box. That lesson was learned the hard way a while ago! The top is only 1/16” larger than the bottom so it fits snugly. I tried 1/8” and it was too loose.

I used the same theme on the congratulations card, using the same paper as the top of the box. Like I said, I’m all about the sparkly!

Congrats

The stamps are from Gina K Designs, one of the Lovely Labels sets, and I embellished it with a few pearls. I also colored in the black strips with a Spica black glitter pen, because no matter which ink I used they didn’t turn out dark enough for me. The strip behind it was punched using a Martha Stewart border punch.

I love this verse on the inside. It’s the Apache Wedding Prayer and the stamp is from Hampton Art Stamps.

Congrats_inside

I had a lot of fun with this project and I hope she likes them. I still need some sparkly tissue paper to wrap up the cards in the boxes and a sparkly gift bag. You’d think that would be easy to find, but I haven’t had any luck so far. I will try Hobby Lobby later, they have a decent gift wrapping section. Maybe I will run into a stamp that’s calling my name, too – you just never know.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post and the project is awesome. She is going to love it. thanks for the tutorial on the boxes, I found it very helpful. Going to pin this!!!! Love that box top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, in my last comment, meant to say the congrats card was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the best gift ever for a bride!!! So thoughtful! Glad you dusted off the Silhouette. Your card is lovely. That sentiment will be a treasure for the new couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love the design - so elegant.

    And thanks for doing the math. I might need to blow the dust off my own Silhouette and play with boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card, and what a wonderful idea for a sweet gift. Found you via your plumbers gasket idea on Pinterest. Joined as a follower & hope you will come visit me when you have the time. I'm in Upstate SC. TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.