2/4/13

Custom Envelopes and a Little Zentangling

Since I have been making envelopes like a crazy person, I thought I’d share a few of them and also add my method of envelope making. It’s really pretty simple once you get the hang of it. I have the Scor-Envy for the Scor-Pal and it works fine for a lot of standard size envelopes, but not for a 9” x 4-1/4” envelope, or other custom sizes.

First you need to determine how big you want the finished envelope to be. If you are mailing tri-folded 8-1/2” x 11” sheets, the envelope should be 9” x 4-1/4”.

Here are the steps to determine the paper size you will need:

1. Add 1” to the width (for the side flaps), making it 10” (9 + 1 = 10).

2. Double the height and add 1” (so the top flap will overlap the bottom flap), making it 9-1/2” (4.25 + 4.25 + 1.0 = 9.5).

You will need a piece of paper that’s 10” x 9-1/2”. This formula will work for any size envelope. All you need is a piece of paper large enough for your envelope and you can create any size you need. Just measure the card or letter you are mailing, add 1/4” to 1/2” to that measurement and use the formula to determine the paper size you need. If your card is 4-1/4” x 5-1/2”, the finished size should be 4-1/2” x 5-3/4”, at least – or a tad larger if you have thick embellishments on it.

Score the 10” side at 1/2” on both edges. Score the 9-1/2” side at 2” and 6-1/4”. Cut away the pieces shown as gray in the diagram. You can change the top and bottom score lines, as long as they are 4-1/4” apart, it will just change the size of the top and bottom flap. The drawing is not to scale, it’s just for illustration purposes. (You can click on any of the pictures to see them larger – if you want to save the diagram, just right click and choose Save As..)

Microsoft Word - envelope.doc

After trimming and scoring it should look like this:

DSCN3687

The measurements are a little different on this one. It ends up the same size, but the side flaps are 3/4” wide instead of 1/2”, which gives you a little more surface for adhesive.

I made all of the cuts at a slight angle to make it easier to fold together. All you have to do now is add adhesive to the right and left edges of the bottom flap and fold it up. Since the flaps are cut at an angle, I prefer to put adhesive on the edges of the bottom flap rather than on the side flaps. I use Scor-Tape for the top flap so that I can just peel and stick when I get ready to mail it.

Here are some of my latest creations. Of course, you will need to put on a label or attach a square of white paper for the address.

DSCN3679DSCN3682DSCN3681

These 2 are still the same size as the ones above, but I changed it up a bit and put the flap on the end instead of at the top.

DSCN3680DSCN3683

Most of these are standard A2 size:

DSCN3685DSCN3684

These are regular white A2 envelopes. I masked the center with a piece of copy paper cut to size and stamped them. Getting the mask in the center and getting it straight is not as easy as I thought! Several of them ended up in the round file.

DSCN3686

And now for something completely different… Zentangle (Google it for more info). I tried this a couple of years ago and although it is touted as being very relaxing, I found it quite stressful. Perhaps that’s because the perfectionist in me was in charge. I decided to have another go at it, and I am quite enjoying it this time around. They are not perfect, but I’m really ok with it now.

DSCN3675DSCN3676DSCN3677DSCN3678

There is some traditional Zentangling on the bottom right card, and basic doodling on the others. I used Copics, Prismacolor, and Promarkers for coloring and added a bit of glitter here and there will Sakura Stardust glitter pens. I intended to use them as postcards to send out for my Letter Month challenge, but I think I may try to make copies of them first. I enjoy doing it, but it takes quite a while to do one and if I can get them to copy well, I can just make more as I need them, until the doodling mood strikes me again.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you like the envelope instructions. The secret, which isn’t really a secret, is to just take your time and think it through. Measure twice, cut once, as they say. I usually draw a diagram on paper first to make sure the measurements are going to work. Overcome your fear of the ruler, go through your paper stash and make some envelopes – I’d love to see what you come up with.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe not perfect but they look great! Never tried it...the result is nice...maybe someday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, those are lovely! I absolutely love envelopes with end flaps. They just make me grin from ear to ear! I love what I see here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful envelopes! Your Zentangling is amazing! A neighborhood lady where I used to live was really getting into it and hers was nothing compared to yours. Great work on these! Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made my own envelopes much the same way you have. Mine end up with flaps on the ends sometimes.

    I love the Zentangling, especially the top right one. Great idea for envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love your envelopes you really have a hand on the Zentangling as well. I love the papers you used for the envelopes they really catch the eye.

    Thanks to your inspiring work, I am going to try my hand at making smaller envelopes using floral paper for seed packets. Thank you for showing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tami says SELL YOUR ENVELOPES. I love them and would love to have some more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.