9/16/13

OWH Labor Day weekend VCMP challenge

I did not participate in the Virtual Card Making Party (VCMP), but I did peek at some of the other participant’s cards. Dixie made a beautiful card using this sketch, so I decided to dig into my patterned paper stash and see what I could come up with.

This is what happened. The patterned paper is from the Hello Summer 6 x 6 paper pad from Echo Park, punched into 1” squares.

DSCN4294

The hardest part was lining up the squares. I drew a light pencil line down the center of the card stock and lined up the center square first, making sure the points lined up on the pencil line. I erased the line and instead of adding the square to the right or left of the center one, I added the one to the top right next. I tried it the other way - twice - and made a mess of it. So instead of doing what I usually do - doing the same thing over and over expecting different results and therefore making myself crazy - I tried something different. It worked much better. Once the squares on the top and bottom right or left are added, the others are so much easier to line up.

A LOT of card makers participated in the VCMP! If you’d like to see some beautiful and creative creations, check out the master thread here. There were 9 challenges and that post has links to all of them. At the bottom of the posts are thumbnails with links to the individual entries. Grab a cup of coffee, or a glass of something stronger if you are so inclined, sit back and enjoy browsing. I’m sure you will find some inspiration there!

5 comments:

  1. Love how this turned out, Jackie, and thanks for that tip about lining up the elements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this sketch, but I was so determined to be different, and not do just squares, that I ended up making nothing but pretty trash. Yours, however,is fabby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this Jackie! Your papers are beautiful!!!! This has inspired me to do one in both Fall and Halloween papers. Thanks for this awesome inspiration. You'll be seeing them on my next post for sure!!! And I'll be linking back to your blog. Have an awesome weekend! Hugs, Curt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this on Pinterest this week and featured it in my "Saturday Morning Coffee Cafe" post. It is such a beautiful card!
    http://www.perfectlycreatedchaos.com/2015/08/saturday-morning-coffee-cafe_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your tip on lining the squares. Your card is so beautiful. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.