7/15/14

Card in a Box

Apparently I have been a bit out of the loop lately. The Card in a Box technique is more popular than I imagined and the first time I saw one was this lovely example on Miss Dixie’s Blog - Happy 4th. She used a cut file for the Silhouette, but my machine is smaller and I didn’t think the files would fit. So I did what I always do - I Googled it. Oh myyyy…there are so many examples out there. I found the instructions for this version on Splitcoast Stampers and SO many other variations, many of which I pinned to my Pinterest board.

I have a pen friend who has been feeling a bit under the weather, so I decided to try my hand at this fabulous new (to me) trend.

2014-07-05 11.28.47

2014-07-05 11.29.16

The flowers and such are attached to acetate and then to 2 strips inserted into the middle of the box. Two things I learned from this card:

1. The acetate must be fairly sturdy. Overhead transparencies are not strong enough to hold up the die cuts. It would have looked more like a garden in dire need of watering (droopy flowers).

2. Arrange and adhere the elements on the strips before adding them into the box.

I used Scor-Tape to attach the things to the acetate strips and to the inserts and although I haven’t heard from her yet, I think it probably arrived intact. There are some versions that can be mailed in a standard A2 envelope, but this one is larger and had to be sent in a great big envelope.

Check out the links above and make one of these yourself. They are lots of fun to make and I’m sure the recipient will think you are a freakin’ genius! Which, as we all know, you are :-).

Supplies:
Paper: Doodlebug Design patterned paper, BoBunny Dot Patterned Paper
Dies: My Favorite Things Plentiful Petals and Fancy Flourish, Impression Obsession Heart Set
Punches: Martha Stewart Butterfly punch, EK Success Star Punch

4 comments:

  1. That flower garden is bound to make your pen friend smile! Blooming fabulous! You’re hooked on the box card now. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen these, but I haven't tried one yet. Yours is gorgeous! And yeah, I would think you'd need the real heavy acetate, like from packaging, for things to stay vertical. I'll check out your links, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, this is gorgeous, fun, and so very pretty!! Started one of these folds and never finished. You have inspired me....like you always do. Next, while investigating Google+ for a friend I saw on my gmail where you invited me. I am so sorry. I never look at my gmail. Just so you know I am not snubbing you. ;-) I saw where you miss FL and probably like I miss NV. Anyway, hope your summer is going great just like your creations!! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if I ever told you, but this has sat on my desk since the day I got it. It reminds me of you and makes me feel hugged. Thanks for the hard work. It is gorgeous and deeply appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love reading your comments.